Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: <bug> shell scripts fail when /bin/sh <> /bin/bas

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: <bug> shell scripts fail when /bin/sh <> /bin/bash
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:37:50 +0200

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 08:18:07AM +0200, Gour wrote:

> Heh, what if user run e.g. fish shell which is not POSIX and to rung two
> commands uses: command1; and command2 syntax, and moreover, user does
> not have bash?

The platform-specific wrappers may need to be adjusted to
whatever distribution one runs on. That doesn't mean
"GNUmed" (as in "the GNUmed client") doesn't run on that
platform.

> Karsten> It is only a few helper shell scripts which have bashisms in
> Karsten> them which I would rather either fix or explicitely make them
> Karsten> require bash (as they do now).
>
> But some distros are replacing bash with dash and many run zsh. Why not
> eliminate bash?
It is the maintainers job to get their GNUmed package to run
on their distribution. They can do this by eiter adjusting
/bin/bash to /bin/dash or by sending us patches which make
the script run under both.

> bash is one of the reasons why it's not possible to use autoconf
> mechanism on Win...
I am not sure I understand what you are saying here.

> Karsten> Sure, why not. Which one are you thinking about ? It'll make a
> Karsten> lot more sense for some than for others.
>
> I'm thinking about ALL :-)
Well, feel free to go ahead and we'll see what happens.

> Moreover, the title Get and run GNUmed source code from CVS (Windows)
> I'd replace by producing GNUmed releases more often (incremental
> releases) and/or by producing regular 'semi-stable' snapshot.
We lack the manpower to do that.

> Does any of GNUmed developers use Windows as developing platform?
No.

> I'd also expect that the application (/usr/bin/gnumed) is called as
> native (Python) script and not as shell script
Even netscape and googleearth and similar things are called
via wrapper scripts. There's nothing wrong with that.

> Then, by having GUI installer for Windows, it will be very easy to
> install it everywhere.
We already have a GUI installer for Windows.

> e.g. check-prerequisites in both *.py and *.sh version...

check-* would be one good candidate to have a pure Python version.