[Gnumed-devel] Re: <bug> shell scripts fail when /bin/sh <> /bin/bash

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: <bug> shell scripts fail when /bin/sh <> /bin/bash
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:56:41 +0200

>> But some distros are replacing bash with dash and many run zsh. Why
>> not eliminate bash?
Karsten> It is the maintainers job to get their GNUmed package to run on
Karsten> their distribution. They can do this by eiter adjusting
Karsten> /bin/bash to /bin/dash or by sending us patches which make the
Karsten> script run under both.

This is extra work which is not required - having Python scripts instead
of shell ones won't degrade performance nor disable some features.

>> bash is one of the reasons why it's not possible to use autoconf
>> mechanism on Win...
Karsten> I am not sure I understand what you are saying here.

That using (bash) shell scripts and multi-platform-ability goes ill
together :-)

Karsten> Well, feel free to go ahead and we'll see what happens.

OK. I first have to dive into Python a bit.

Karsten> We lack the manpower to do that.

Heh, using DVCS can help to have releases more often.

You can also check: https://launchpad.net/+tour/index

Dunno about Savannah, but by using e.g. bzr, each developer can easily
hack on some specific feature/bug-fix, publish his code on Launchpad,
all the other devs can easily pull from his branch and when the feature
is ready and/fixed, it's very easy to merge.

Branches in DVCS are cheap and merging is easy(ier) ;)

>> Does any of GNUmed developers use Windows as developing platform?
Karsten> No.

Good :-)

Karsten> Even netscape and googleearth and similar things are called via
Karsten> wrapper scripts. There's nothing wrong with that.

The only 'wrong' thing is that one needs separate script for each
platform and that in the situation where the native language of
application is running without any problem on multi-platform.

Of course, you're free to continue doing it, but I consider it
unnecessary burden for maintaining.

Karsten> check-* would be one good candidate to have a pure Python
Karsten> version.

Good, we're coming closer to agreement ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D