Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using DVCS

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using DVCS
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:06:54 +0200

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 05:46:26PM +0200, Gour wrote:

> The other day, upon mentioning CVS, someone wrote me:
>
> "...cvs these days is about as hip as having toilet paper stuck to one's
> shoe.  It can deter potential contributors just because it doesn't have
> a good "smell", so to speak."

The venerable CVS has ugly warts, no doubt. That's why I
consider switching a viable undertaking at all.

The difference between going from CVS to SVN vs going from
CVS to a dVCS is that SVN is "CVS done better" while dVCSs
are "CVS done right". The latter requires a paradigm shift
in thinking while the former just needs some getting used to
not-insignificantly better tools.