Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: users & dev lists

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: users & dev lists
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:29:10 +0200

On Sonntag 10 August 2008, Gour wrote:

> Sebastian> Yes the bug tracker should be used more often. It is work to
> Sebastian> do this and noone has kept up with it. Karsten cannot be
> Sebastian> bothered as it would take away too much time.
>
> Sure. I understand.
>
> Sebastian> Would you voluteer to watch the mailinglist and open tickets
> Sebastian> and solutions ?
>
> I can volunteer, but since I'm not so familiar with the application, it
> would be nice to have some mentor above me, checking what I'm doing.
>
> btw, I saw you prepared bzr branches on Launchpad? What do you think
> about using Launchpad for bug tracking?
>
> Have you saw my branch on LP?
>
> Sebastian> As for the users I agree in principle but for now no
> Sebastian> developers are there that mind user reports. This might
> Sebastian> change.
>
> OK. What about having users list on LP so that users can discuss their
> issue without bothering devs...
>
> Sebastian> Power to you to build the community. We appreciate your
> Sebastian> effort.
>
> You're the main driver on LP and I would not like to do anything without
> your blessings.

Back then I had set up on LP whatever I thought could help. We have not
received any more input since doing that. The group of potential developers
seems to be quite small for a medical application.

What has helped was getting the Debian packages into Ubuntu so more people
tried it but we have yet to find out how to make GNUmed available for two
seperate groups.

a) users who can hopefully use synaptic
b) developers who can use git , cvs etc. I have no knowledge on how to use git
and so on..

If you have any idea on how to capture the attention of potential users let us
know. To few people hear about GNUmed. Of these many are on MS WIndows. Which
in itself is no problem but GNUmed on Windows takes some time to setup.

For MS Windows we think about a one-in-all version which ships python etc. For
the time being we lack the resources to maintain a system-wide python build
and a one-in-all build.

I have experimented with py2exe and the likes in the past and even had a thumb
drive version but it needs a dedicated maintainer for this.

Right now we support: Debian, openSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora, Ubuntu, Windows,
MacOSX. We are looking for maintainers that focus on one platform and act
when a new relase comes out.

Debian/Ubuntu is well covered but the other one need a maintainer. I have
build packages for all of these archs so I can mentor if someone steps up.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany