Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter, Encountlet, Episode, Health issue, Problem

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter, Encountlet, Episode, Health issue, Problem
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:32:23 -0700

Reply shared with the list:

On 12-Aug-08, at 2:11 PM, Rogerio Luz wrote:

Ok ... seems it´s just a matter of getting used to the terminology ... but for tranlations it will need some polishing :)

Encounter then is a self contained relationship with patient (i.e. it starts and ends) right?

My problem is in uderstanding why would we need the Episode.

If we have general health issues as a base and Encounter as the way to do the SOAP, we could just get rid of Episode?

Please, I am not saying we SHOULD get rid of it, I am trying to uderstand where and why has it been used.

Among other things, the episode helps to remove from the work area all those past health issues and encounters that are unlikely to be of interest, so that when working on a patient, it is possible to kepp in front of you the things that need to be (re)assessed and managed, and to not miss to look after things as a result of unworkable clutter.

Episodes also provides an aggregation of encounters that helps to visualize a patient having a suspiciously high number / frequency of episodes. We cannot easily judge only from encounters, because patient's personalities and needs vary... some might come in only once or twice, and another a dozen times, for what (in the doctor's view) might be the same severity / complexity of illness.