Re: [Gnumed-devel] 0.3-rc4 released

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] 0.3-rc4 released
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:11:20 +0200

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 03:06:28PM -0300, Rogerio Luz wrote:

> That is a important question I meaned to ask ...
>
> How many gnumed DB can I have on a localhost: ?

As many as you want and your hardware supports.

It is directly supported and very easy to have one database
per version on one machine, eg. v7, v8 and v9. This is done
when upgrading to a new version anyway. This can be used to
keep a "real" patient database and a next-version database
for testing the next version of GNUmed on the same machine.

It is also possible to have several databases of the same
version but that needs manual work: They need to have
different names (for example gnumed_v8_1 and gnumed_v8_2).
One needs to make sure that database permissions,
bootstrapping scripts, config files etc are adjusted to the
corresponding database name appropriately.

> My idea is running at least 2 ... a testing one where I can get the CVS and
> the latest version to point to it and a REAL one where I would like to start
> working with my patients on ...

No problem.

> My question is: how to protect the REAL one,

Protect from what ? What is the threat model ? (I know there
are threats, I'm just wondering which ones you are thinking
about.)

> and then how to COPY the REAL one to the TESTING DB

That's what the upgrade-db.sh script is for.

> PS: I am starting a new DB for my patients this week, do you think it is ok
> to start using the 0.3 cleint on a v-9 ?
I guess, yeah, but I don't stand up for the risks :-)

> Will the bootstrap to _v9 script come within the tarball?
Yes.