Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Install help

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Install help
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:04:38 +0200

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:46:52PM -0400, Geordie wrote:

> This is a long post.
No problem.

> I have tried to answer your questions from the last 2 emails.
Good. If we persist we will --- see it through :-D

> Excellent, you are up to date here. This is Sidux as I
> recall ?
>  Yes and updated twice a month.  Most of the time not much happens but xorg
> gives me trouble when they decide to do a major overhaul.
Debian proper works quite nicely in that regard.

> address@hidden:~$  ps ax | grep "post"
>  2585 ?        S
> 0:00 /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main -c
> config_file=/etc/postgresql/8.3/main/postgresql.conf
>  2588 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: writer process
>
>  2589 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: wal writer process
>
>  2590 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: autovacuum launcher process
>
>  2591 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: stats collector process
>
>  3466 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep post

Excellent. You do seem to have a PostgreSQL instance up and running.

> Exactly how did you install the GNUmed database ?

> I am assuming the database is Postgre
> This was done with apt-get. If it can't be done this way then I usually run
> into trouble. CL was never one of my specialties as you can see here.
No problem. apt-get is perfectly fine.

        apt-get install postgresql

will, however, only install the database *server*, that is,
the software which will hold and serve the database content.
However, the database "content" (tables and such) will have
to be installed "into" PostgreSQL.

For that one uses net_install-gnumed_server.sh. This script
can be run as user "Geordie". It will switch to user root by
itself. For that it will ask for the password of user
Geordie (not root !).

> > su - postgres
> > initdb -D ~postgres/data
> > postmaster [-i] -D ~postgres/data >logfile 2>&1 &
> > Did not work
> Well, how far did it get ? Did it re-init a new cluster ?
>
> address@hidden:~$ su - postgres
> Password:
> su: Authentication failure
> It seems not to like this my password normally works as long as I hit the
> right keys. Big fingers some days.

In this case that's good, because the "initdb" will kill
your existing database cluster which

> Sidux should have a script to start PostgreSQL on system
> restart. Look for that. The above is only recommended if you
> know what you do.
> It shows up on the install script. It seems to hang there for a few moments
> then proceeds with the rest of the script.
Sounds OK to me.

> Under which user did you run the net_install* script ?
> If user refers to "Geordie" then that is what I used.
Sounds OK.

> file:///home/Geordie/gnumed/imagecachefile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/soffice.cfgfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/arrowhd_en-US.soefile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/autotbl.fmtfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/classic_en-US.sogfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/cmyk.socfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/gallery.socfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/hatching_en-US.sohfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/html.socfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/javasettings_Linux_x86.xmlfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/modern_en-US.sogfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/palette_en-US.socfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/standard.sobfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/standard.socfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/standard.sodfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/standard.soefile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/standard.sogfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/standard.sohfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/styles_en-US.sodfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/sun-color.socfile:///home/Geordie/gnumed/web.soc
>
> > this has been added from the net install
> Certainly not.
> This information was not there when I started this morning; it went somewhere
Exactly where did you get the above (very long) line from ?

> su - root
> su - postgres (This command does not work)
> psql -l
> address@hidden:~# psql -l
> psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "root"
This can't work if the su - postgres does not work.

> Please retry starting GNUmed and actually logging into the
> public database and send us the log for that. That'll give
> us more hints. Be sure to enable "debugging" in the login
> dialog.

OK, the log looks perfectly fine. That means the client is
properly installed and works just fine on your machine. Thus
we need to make sure you have the database properly
installed.