Re: [Gnumed-devel] Handling of time hh:mm:ss in dob (date of birth)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Handling of time hh:mm:ss in dob (date of birth)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:19:26 +0200

> On 22-Aug-08, at 2:04 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>
> >> 3. Might the value 00:00:01 (in place of something like 07:00:00) be
> >> more unusual and therefore hinting that the time of birth is not an
> >> actual time?
> > Yes, but, if we somewhere have an error in observing DST vs not
> > observing DST we may inadvertantly
> > display the wrong *date* if the default time is within 1 hour of
> > midnight either way.
>
> Thus better than 00:00:01 would be 01:00:01

That *should* be safe, yes.

> or, to further be safe
> when patient care and a server may cross two adjacent time zones
> ( (if the default is determined by the server vs client machine),
It's not so much the crossing of time zones as such rather than the transition
of one and the same time
zone between DST and non-DST -- where a bug would interpret user input as DST
and program output
as non-DST which may lead to incorrect on-screen reproduction.

> then either way 02:00:01 may solve the concern?
That is safer still.