Re: [Gnumed-devel] Handling of time hh:mm:ss in dob (date of birth)

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Handling of time hh:mm:ss in dob (date of birth)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:44:57 +0200

Friday 22 August 2008 06:49:15 James Busser napisaƂ(a):
> In the table dem.identity, dob is defined as
>
>       timestamp with time zone

Just a short comment: in my opinion time and time zone is neither necessary nor
easy to handle in the dob field. The Idea of having separate time_of_birth
field seems better.
Looking from practical point of view: except perhaps neonatologists noone cares
for time of birth, so why bother everyone with it?
It is also more bug-proof. Now when I enter a date i must enter it in format
yyyy-mm-dd or with '/' as separator, even when my locale is set to
'dd-mm-yyyy'. When entering the date as eg. 2008-08-13 the time gets set to
20:08, still don't know why.
Saving only date makes also time zone handling unnecessary.
Storing date without time prevents strange date comparison results. Consider
this: dob = '2008-08-03 20:00' now = '2008-08-22 15:00' patient age = ? I thing
most doctors would rather have this as 19 days (days difference) than 18 days
with couple of hours, as exact comparison returns.

Jerzy