Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: New version Database

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: New version Database
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:04:20 +0200

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:00:34AM +0200, RKI Andreas wrote:

>>> Can I have the bootstrap-latest.sh edited so it will only ask the password
>>> one time?
>> No.
>>
>> But you can pre-set the password for gm-dbo in the config
>> file(s).
>>
>> Some leverage can perhaps also be had by setting up a .pgpass
>> file for users root and postgres.
>
> Comment: I agree with Rogerio that this handling of passwords is somehow
> awkward and I wished that there would be a simpler option to enable users
> to input a password only once.

This isn't being realistic, I believe:

1) the package maintainer can always sed the conf files to
   contain the password in which case it won't be asked at all

2) in a true production environment the bootstrap-latest.sh
   will only be run once after which the upgrade scripts will
   be run whenever a database upgrade is in order -- for which
   the password will only be asked once anyways

3) if the database administrator so choses she can always pre-set
   the passwords in .pgpass and/or configure pg_hba.conf
   appropriately

OTOH I just thought of a way :-))   I'll be testing this for v10.