[Gnumed-devel] Re: Today's lessons

From: Geordie
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Today's lessons
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:04:23 -0400

Goodday Andreas

> I personally have no idea what Sidux is doing (and why people
> might prefer software from UNSTABLE for their day to day work),
> but at least you should tell us which version of the gnumed-client
> package you are using.
  0.2.8.10-1

> If you would like to follow my (strong) recommendation: If I were
> you I would install a Lenny Beta CD to get a reasonably stable
> system which will become Debian stable in the not so distant future.
> Your question looks like if you are not really prepared to use
> software from unstable. (I'm a Debian developer since 10 years and
> never was running unstable on any of my machines.)
It is like walking on the darkside.

My Linux adventure started two years ago when I tried to get etch gnome
running on an old toshiba laptop. XP had worked fine on it, a little tweaking
here and there, and the odd crash but nothing extrordinary. The laptop was a
spare so time to play. Well gnome just did not repond slow and an awful
experience. So off to Etch XFCE.
Well to make it work correctly I needed programs from testing. Trying to make
Debian work in a split environment(stable and testing) is not a fun
experience I finally got XFCE to work after ISO CD came out. It was a long
road over many months, but I succeeded.
This is the fourth operating system (I started on a mac) I have played in and
I find LInux a challenge and not for the faint of heart. It seems to take a
long time to make things work.
When I did the next laptop I decided on sidux after a lot of reading. I think
what convinced me was the rolling upgrades. I liked the idea so why not give
it a try. Actual I am quite impress with the way sidux team has packaged the
product and it works 99.9% of the time which is far better my xp boxes. Also
at the beginning of my Etch experience, people were upgrading from Sarge to
Etch it might be painless but it reminded me to much of ME to XP experience.
Also in the windows world I upgrade the software whenever a new version came
out, so software upgrades here are not uncommon.
So here I am
and lovin every minute of it
Geordie