Re: [Gnumed-devel] Today's lessons

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Today's lessons
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 23:59:31 +0200

Hi Geordie,

> I am not knowledgable on such matters. From what I have seen this package
> came
> from the sid dispositries in the USA (deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
> sid main contrib). I believe all the sidux team does is create an easy way to
> package the unstable sid material and try to make it work. I would see no
> reason for them to change any packages. I thought that was done with the
> package maintainer. Given how difficult it is to keep things straight some
> thing could be amiss. If there is a problem it usually ends up on my
> machines. I seem to be a magnet for such troubles.

;-(   Anyway, Andreas' suggestion to use Debian/Testing is
very sound. I am using it for years, too, w/o any problems.

> and then there are bash commands, I tried this
>
> address@hidden:~# mv gnumed.conf gnumed-client.conf
> mv: cannot stat `gnumed.conf': No such file or directory
You'd have to be in /root/.gnumed/ because that's where the
file is (if so, I doubt it).

> address@hidden:~# mv etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf etc/gnumed/gnumed-client.conf
> mv: cannot stat `etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf': No such file or directory
>  and that did not work
You need "/etc/...", not "etc/...", note the / at the beginning.

> If that don't work copy the above lines (the "profiles"
> stuff under [backend] and the actual profile definitions
> under [profile ...]) into /home/Geordie/.gnumed/gnumed.conf
> and try again.
>
> /home/Geordie/.gnumed/gnumed.conf
> [preferences]
> profile = public GNUmed database (address@hidden)
> login = any-doc
>
> [profile public GNUmed database]
>  host = salaam.homeunix.com
>  port = 5432
>  database = gnumed_v8
>  #encoding = UTF8
>
>  [profile local GNUmed database]
>  host = localhost
>  port = 5432
>  database = gnumed_v8
>  #encoding = UTF8

Looks good (oh, maybe remove the leading spaces) but it also
needs this:

[backend]

profiles = $profiles$
public GNUmed database
local GNUmed database
$profiles$

so it knows which of the defined profiles are actually
active. Please retry and send me the log after trying to log
into your public database