Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres installation and setup in lenny

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres installation and setup in lenny
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:54:13 -0700

On 3-Sep-08, at 3:45 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

As root try running

   pg_lsclusters

It should list what clusters are there, running (up) or not (=down).

Nothing:

debianhost:/var/lib/postgresql# pg_lsclusters
Version Cluster Port Status Owner Data directory Log file
debianhost:/var/lib/postgresql#

try
   su - postgres
   psql
...Try doing that step from root and try "su - postgres".

Nope:

debianhost:/var/lib/postgresql# su - postgres
address@hidden:~$ psql
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
        connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
address@hidden:~$ exit

If it stills spews out that message we indeed don't have PG running.
Try installing and running "rcconf" which let's you configure which services
start at which runlevel.

   apt-get install rcconf

It seems only to let me configure whether or not to start it... but it was already configured to be started automatically (screenshot). :-(

I am wondering if I should start fresh. How much do I need to do? Just
        apt-get remove postgresql-8.3
which would remove
        postgresql postgresql-8.3 postgresql-contrib postgresql-contrib-8.3
or do I also have to remove
        libossp-uuid15 postgresql-common
and do I have to delete user postgres and any directories?

??

PNG image