Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping database problem

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping database problem
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 10:20:51 -0700

On 5-Sep-08, at 4:15 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

I just checked - the upgrade-db.sh script should work just
fine. The bootstrap-latest.sh still tries to su to
"postgres" in order to check for existing databases and drop
staging databases afterwards. Both are not mandatory,
though. Commenting out those lines should make the
bootstrapper work just fine.

I believe people who are bent on using another account to
bootstrap better know what they do.

Sorry... I mainly just wanted to know if it was avoidable to have to give gmadm sudo access, since giving them sudo access would allows them full access to postgres (they could fully "be" postgres, changing its password etc) and I thought the point of having gmadm was to constrain the rights of gmadm in order to avoid their ability to monkey around with other postgres databases and instances which might be on the server, etc.

However would the person(s) looking after gmadm need sudo access anyway to restart the postgres server, since you specified that the restart had needed to be done as root.