Re: [Gnumed-devel] client v vs database v mismatch and write-protecting

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] client v vs database v mismatch and write-protecting old databases
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:59:15 +0200

> Like Geordie, I am in a situation where I have GNUmed v9 database
> when my client is only 0.2.8.10-1 and I wanted to revisit what
> currently happens, and what we desire to happen.
>
> It seems to me that there is a risk of allowing a client which was
> built for a prior database to be able to connect to a newer version
> of the database.

We don't allow that. The client checks at startup which database it connects to
against which database it wants to connect to. If that doesn't match it will
refuse to connect. Unless the user explicitely said they want to have a choice
and then DID choose to ignore the warning.

> Now in the other direction, if a client *would* make it possible to
> lookup something from an earlier version of the database (maybe
> because the new server is down, or there is a suspicion of altered
> values that do not make sense to the clinician) then I would be OK
> with the same client being able look back at the old database
That is technically hairy to the point of being pointless.

> What would be the easiest way of making an old database readable but
> not writable?
Revoke all write permissions from all tables.

But reversing that is pretty hairy, too.

I would just disallow access.

All in all, we are talking local site management issues here which don't
have a global solution and can thus not be "solved" by the GNUmed project.

Psssst! Schon das coole Video vom GMX MultiMessenger gesehen?
Der Eine für Alle: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/messenger03