[Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 14:32:35 +0200

>>>>> "Jerzy" == Jerzy Luszawski <address@hidden> writes:

Hello Jerzy,

Jerzy> If we want to limit Gnumed to <10 users we need neither Launchpad
Jerzy> nor any other bug tracking machines. We can PM each other.

Correct. The above is the main reason why I've started posting here - to
help increase number of Gnumed users by organizing the project better.

Jerzy> I think Gour made a good point here: automatic bug submit by
Jerzy> exception handler generates many "bugs" which are at best help
Jerzy> requests, and not real bugs in code. They come because of using
Jerzy> outdated versions, not properly installed prerequisities or
Jerzy> strange config files. I don't remember any recently reported bug
Jerzy> requiring code change (but I may have missed one).  If potential
Jerzy> user had to register to file a bug report, he would have to think
Jerzy> it over, find FAQ, search for similar bugs, and check his config.
Jerzy> This should limit "pseudo-bugs" and save everyone's (especially
Jerzy> Karsten) time. This time can be spent to developing better
Jerzy> doc/wiki, covering potential installation pitfals.

You've got it correct. Let's introduce some of the good-practices to
end-users and in that way get better feedback from them.

Bug list in Debian is full of spam and if this is, for Karsten,  good
example of having bug-reports sent without any auth mechanism, good luck
then ;)

Jerzy> I personally like the idea of preparing blueprints on
Jerzy> Lauchpad. That can eventually replace the corresponding branch in
Jerzy> the wiki, being easier to maintain. (remember the initial topic
Jerzy> of this mail? ;-)

Ohh, finally...some similar-thinking soul :-)

Jerzy> Also bug/feature assignments can be utilized when all developers
Jerzy> register as gnumed team members.

True.

Jerzy> I would limit or even completely abandon automatic generation of
Jerzy> bug report.

Not a bad idea - if the user went through the 'procedure' you've
described above, there is good chance that if he is going to report,
we'll get an useful bug-report and then I consider it's reasonable to
register at LP (official app's tracker) 'cause sending gpg-signed email
for automatic report would require, afaict, new module dependency, and,
based on I know about Karsten, I can safely assume it will be labelled
as 'prohibitive' :-D

Jerzy> (I hope I will have some time in the evening to clean up and send
Jerzy> this operation plugin)

What about gpg-sign part? You're aware of it?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D