Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 19:30:04 +0200

Hello Jerzy, hello Gour

first - I do appreciate your effort to help with GNUmed.

I am not opposed to using more Launchpad features. But it must be someone else
who
does the work. There is no need to ask permissions to file bugs at LP. Just do
it. You
don't need my permission.

I also don't think it is a bad idea. I appreciate your intent to help with
better organisation.
But I don't like to do it. I am fine with you doing it.

As I said, the bug report target email is easily changed. No need on my part to
do anything. If it goes to Launchpad, fine. If it goes to address@hidden which
I just opened, fine.

What I *am* asking for is that I am notified of bugs as they come in. If that
notification
comes from you, from Launchpad, via address@hidden or whatever - I don't care.
If it comes from you and is thereby pre-selected (IOW, repeats and config
trouble and
old version stuff weeded out) -- so much the better for it.

I never have a problem with people who do something (I may have a problem with
how).
If Jerzy writes an operation plugin -- fine - he needs neither permission nor
must he ask me
how. I'll look at his code, give my opinion (I am opiniated), ask for a few
changes here and
there (although he seems to have a pretty good understanding of how GNUmed is
built already)
and then the code will go in !   If I don't like his module as such - no
problem - I just won't use it.
But it can still go in, especially so because it solves a use case for him.

Now, the gist: Just do it.

> Jerzy> I think Gour made a good point here: automatic bug submit by
> Jerzy> exception handler generates many "bugs" which are at best help
> Jerzy> requests, and not real bugs in code. They come because of using
> Jerzy> outdated versions, not properly installed prerequisities or
> Jerzy> strange config files.
Most of them, yes, and I wouldn't mind someone else taking care of that :-)

> I don't remember any recently reported bug
> Jerzy> requiring code change (but I may have missed one).
I got a few privately ;-)

> If potential
> Jerzy> user had to register to file a bug report, he would have to think
> Jerzy> it over, find FAQ, search for similar bugs, and check his config.

I do understand the benefit of this but I know for a fact that when we first
introduced the talkback client we got a lot more reports many of which led
to actual bugs getting fixed.

> Jerzy> This should limit "pseudo-bugs" and save everyone's (especially
> Jerzy> Karsten) time. This time can be spent to developing better
> Jerzy> doc/wiki, covering potential installation pitfals.

I'd love that to happen.

> Bug list in Debian is full of spam and if this is, for Karsten,  good
> example of having bug-reports sent without any auth mechanism

IOW, there should be a screening of unauthenticated reports.

> Jerzy> I would limit or even completely abandon automatic generation of
> Jerzy> bug report.
>
> Not a bad idea

You haven't seen how it was before the automatic bug reports. We didn't get
any friggin' report.

> - if the user went through the 'procedure' you've
> described above,

We didn't get any reports when we DIDN'T require people to register so
why would we get reports when we do ?

> there is good chance that if he is going to report,
> we'll get an useful bug-report and then I consider it's reasonable to register
It is reasonable but most people simply won't do it. The world isn't exactly
filled with "reasonable people".

> register at LP (official app's tracker) 'cause sending gpg-signed email
> for automatic report would require, afaict, new module dependency, and,
> based on I know about Karsten, I can safely assume it will be labelled
> as 'prohibitive' :-D
You are entirely wrong. Remember who suggested reducing GNUmed
dependancies, Gour ?

I am not at all opposed to dependancies.

Oh, BTW,  Gour did you get a chance to work on the translation that you
asked for ? I'd like to check in your work if there is anything available
so far.