[Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 21:16:28 +0200

>>>>> "Karsten" == Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Karsten> Hello Jerzy, hello Gour first - I do appreciate your effort to
Karsten> help with GNUmed.

Thanks ;)

Karsten> I am not opposed to using more Launchpad features. But it must
Karsten> be someone else who does the work. There is no need to ask
Karsten> permissions to file bugs at LP. Just do it. You don't need my
Karsten> permission.

Well, if most of the bug reports are coming in the form as automatic
reports, then I find necessary to discuss it with you as main developer
'cause the change has to go into application code.

Karsten> I also don't think it is a bad idea. I appreciate your intent
Karsten> to help with better organisation.  But I don't like to do it. I
Karsten> am fine with you doing it.

OK.

Karsten> As I said, the bug report target email is easily changed. No
Karsten> need on my part to do anything. If it goes to Launchpad,
Karsten> fine. If it goes to address@hidden which I just opened,
Karsten> fine.

The point is that you are against the need to require from end-user to
use gpg-signed email in order to send automatic report.

Karsten> What I *am* asking for is that I am notified of bugs as they
Karsten> come in. If that notification comes from you, from Launchpad,
Karsten> via address@hidden or whatever - I don't care.  If it
Karsten> comes from you and is thereby pre-selected (IOW, repeats and
Karsten> config trouble and old version stuff weeded out) -- so much the
Karsten> better for it.

My idea is to have all the automatic reports go to LP with certain tag
like 'crash-handler'. Then the rest of the dev team, in case you don't want
to receive all those crash-reports, can assigned some of those to you.

Hopefully, we'll get better in triaging and spare you some of your
precious dev-time not to deal with 'useless' traces.

Does it sound OK with you?

However, there is still issue with the request for end-users to somehow
authorize - either by sending gpg-signed email or register at LP.

Karsten> I never have a problem with people who do something (I may have
Karsten> a problem with how).  If Jerzy writes an operation plugin --
Karsten> fine - he needs neither permission nor must he ask me how. I'll
Karsten> look at his code, give my opinion (I am opiniated), ask for a
Karsten> few changes here and there (although he seems to have a pretty
Karsten> good understanding of how GNUmed is built already) and then the
Karsten> code will go in !  If I don't like his module as such - no
Karsten> problem - I just won't use it.  But it can still go in,
Karsten> especially so because it solves a use case for him.

Jerzy: any idea about Exception handler so that we can get those traces
into LP by as gpg-signed emails?

Karsten> Now, the gist: Just do it.

Good!

Karsten> IOW, there should be a screening of unauthenticated reports.

This is easily handled by gpg-signed emails or registering at official
tracker.

Karsten> We didn't get any reports when we DIDN'T require people to
Karsten> register so why would we get reports when we do ?

Because we are discussing all those issues to raise the GNUmed userbase
to the higher magnitude - let's say ~100 hundred for the beginning :-)

Using LP's bug tracker is just first step. There are more...blueprints,
knowledge base etc.

Karsten> It is reasonable but most people simply won't do it. The world
Karsten> isn't exactly filled with "reasonable people".

Well, we can choose to give support to "reasonable people" who care a
bit abut the project at least to the extent to provide nice bug report
to devs.

Karsten> You are entirely wrong. Remember who suggested reducing GNUmed
Karsten> dependancies, Gour ?

He, he...I had/have higher aspirations for proposed reduce of deps,
i.e. much larger beast in play :-)

Karsten> I am not at all opposed to dependancies.

Nice to hear.

Karsten> Oh, BTW, Gour did you get a chance to work on the translation
Karsten> that you asked for ? I'd like to check in your work if there is
Karsten> anything available so far.

Not yet - that's the task for the doctor - my wife - and she promised me
to work on that. I'll send you patches or upload branch to LP when
something will be ready.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D