[Gnumed-devel] automatic bug report redirection (was: GNUmed & blueprint

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] automatic bug report redirection (was: GNUmed & blueprints)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 22:15:02 +0200

Monday 08 September 2008 21:16:28 Gour napisaƂ(a):
> Karsten> As I said, the bug report target email is easily changed. No
> Karsten> need on my part to do anything. If it goes to Launchpad,
> Karsten> fine. If it goes to address@hidden which I just opened,
> Karsten> fine.
>
> The point is that you are against the need to require from end-user to
> use gpg-signed email in order to send automatic report.

Well, I don't like the idea of gpg-signed e-mails, either.
1. Most users are accustomed to create account and login to some website. Only
few know how to get GPG key and know how to configure their mail client.
2. I wonder how to do it in most popular Windows mail clients - Outlook and
Outlook Express, it should be possible, but I'm not sure.
3. It would increase number of dependancies. (see below)

> Karsten> We didn't get any reports when we DIDN'T require people to
> Karsten> register so why would we get reports when we do ?
(...)
> Karsten> It is reasonable but most people simply won't do it. The world
> Karsten> isn't exactly filled with "reasonable people".
>
> Well, we can choose to give support to "reasonable people" who care a
> bit abut the project at least to the extent to provide nice bug report
> to devs.
My thinking goes this way: if someone doesn't even care to register to submit a
bug, he is not seriously interested in using the software anyway, so we needn't
care. How long does it take to register? 1-3 minutes? Yes, we will miss some
bugs, (or there will be delay in finding them).
Still, we should encourage users to file bug reports, and make it clear how to
do it, no matter how we decide to handle them.

> Karsten> You are entirely wrong. Remember who suggested reducing GNUmed
> Karsten> dependancies, Gour ?
>
> He, he...I had/have higher aspirations for proposed reduce of deps,
> i.e. much larger beast in play :-)
>
> Karsten> I am not at all opposed to dependancies.
>
> Nice to hear.
I woudn't be so happy.  You *must* have time to maintain dependencies, and
packages live their own lifes. Who monitors the dependencies now? Recently I
mentioned dependency of older version of wxPython, not overriden by newer
version installed. (no offense, just an example).
The more dependencies, the more difficult it is to install software in
environments different from our reference OS (debian stable). Think about
Windows users.

 > Jerzy: any idea about Exception handler so that we can get those traces
> into LP by as gpg-signed emails?
No idea, sorry.

Jerzy Luszawski

--
GPG key ID: 8EC1A690
Fingerprint: 9CCE 2C65 31FA A274 A9DF  97D4 2DB2 8F0C 8EC1 A690