[Gnumed-devel] Re: automatic bug report redirection

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: automatic bug report redirection
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 08:38:38 +0200

Jello Jerzy & Karsten!

>> > The point is that you are against the need to require from end-user
>> to > use gpg-signed email in order to send automatic report.
Karsten> That much is true because it simply won't happen. Believing
Karsten> otherwise is dreaming.

>> 1. Most users are accustomed to create account and login to some
>> website.  Only few know how to get GPG key and know how to configure
>> their mail client.
Karsten> I agree with this analysis.

I simply disagree with your analysis...

You are saying that it's too much expecting from users to have GPG setup
ready, but otoh you wrote:

Karsten> If a Windows user has trouble fulfilling dependancies they have
Karsten> no business setting up a practice management system. They
Karsten> should pay you, Jerzy, or someone with similar expertise to do
Karsten> it for them.

So, I cannot understand how someone is capable enough to setup "practice
management system", but being not capable to have GPG key ready for
signing :-/

Moreover, as Karsten wrote earlier, we are speaking about few current
GNUmed users and to if based on the current userbase we conclude that it
won't be possible for future users to accept the policy of bug reporting
by providing GPG signed email or registering at LP, I consider it's kind
of defeatism.

Karsten> It isn't really that difficult but still people won't do it
Karsten> just because then they *could* report a bug with GNUmed.

My proposal is to change the current exception handler to provide two
possibilities:

a) send full bug-report automatically to LP as gpg-signed email or

b) point the user to LP's bug tracker with the info how to register.

Otherwise, we'll still have mailing list filled with bug-reports without
any tickets or record what is and when reported, fixed, etc.

In that case, I suggest to, at least, open 'gnumed-users' so that one is
not forced to receive bug-reports intermixed with other talk.

Karsten> While I agree with the analysis -- to tell you the truth: I
Karsten> don't care one whit whether *people* are reasonable or not. All
Karsten> I care about is extracting that bug report from them.

Karsten> If that involves looking at a "trivial" report more than once I
Karsten> don't mind much at the current rate. It tends to be caused by
Karsten> solvable problems.

Then, if you don't like the above proposal, direct all bug reports to
gnumed-bugs, don't use bug tracker and do all bug-tracking manually as
it is done in the moment, but please, don't expect me to dig in the
gnumed-bugs and manually open tickets at LP ;)

Karsten> - everyone and their aunt can have a Debian/Testing system for
Karsten> free - we declare Debian/Testing to be our reference platform -
Karsten> which means we claim that everything works fine on that system
Karsten> - if that claim doesn't hold we fix it - Debian makes
Karsten> dependancies easy - dependancies are carefully chosen to either
Karsten> exist on other platforms or to have equivalents which are then
Karsten> detected in the code - taking care of tracking dependancies for
Karsten> platforms other than Debian/Testing lies in the responsibility
Karsten> of the respective package maintainers - so far this has never
Karsten> been a problem

With all the respect for Debian, I'd say it's not the most user-friendly
for non-savvy users. So, if we care for Windows users and expect that
GNUmed users cannot have a working GPG, then, imho, putting the ladder
at Debian/Testing is not reasonable.

However, to end up this longish thread, I see there are two main
possibilities with some slight variations (pls. add more if you find
appropriate):

1) modify exception handler to provide choice for the user to report bug
either:
        a) automatically by creating new tagged ticket if having the GPG
        setup ready or
        b) inform user how to register at LP and submit ticket there
or

2) use the current practice by directing automatic bug reports to
gnumed-bugs (and sparing devel list of them) and do all the bug tracking
manually without the use of bug tracker.

There is one more idea I have which is modification of 1) - to pick all
the relevant data from the user and then send bug report to LP by using
some kind of 'integrated' GNUmed email-account (knowable to LP), but I
do not know if it there is some library module to provide that
'integrated gpg-signing'

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D