Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: automatic bug report redirection

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: automatic bug report redirection
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 16:26:10 +0200

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 03:37:04PM +0200, Gour wrote:

> Karsten> day to day business. She don't care how to fix the bug or how
> Karsten> to report the bug. They only care about getting their day job
> Karsten> done. But they'll thankfully hit "mail problem to IT support"
> Karsten> if it doesn't entail anything else needing doing.
>
> I dunno what are you talking about. According to you GNUmed has less
> than 10 users.

Yep, and those care about getting their day job done. They
don't care how we fix bugs. Only that we do. If there's a
button "send report" fine, they'll hit it. If there's a link
"go here and register" they'll think twice.

> Karsten> Those people certainly have no business setting up a production
> Karsten> practice management system. That's the job of their IT support.
>
> If they have IT support capable to setup practice management system,
> then that Super Duper IT stuff can probably manage to configure privacy
> system for their users.

That's certainly an argument.

> Karsten> It's not that I don't like the proposal. It's just that I know
> Karsten> that most people will go to the trouble of going to a bug
> Karsten> tracker, registering, and reporting a bug usefully. I know
> Karsten> because we've been having a bug tracker which does exactly what
> Karsten> you proposed for years already.
>
> This is pessimistic attitude.
Yep.

> So many project make use of bug trackers,
> but GNUmed is the specific one for which I does not work. :-)

Didn't work. We've got one and it didn't work so far. It can
even be accessed right from the client via a menu item.

> >> There is one more idea I have which is modification of 1) - to pick
> >> all the relevant data from the user and then send bug report to LP by
> >> using some kind of 'integrated' GNUmed email-account (knowable to LP)
> Karsten> This is done already.
>
> No. It's sent to devel list instead to the tracker.

Well, so then change the email address in the config file to
make it go to the Launchpad tracker ?

CVS even supports Launchpad with the "affects" tag already.