Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed manual

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed manual
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:29:16 +0200

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:10:31PM +0200, Gour wrote:

> Karsten> It sucked because it was a lot more effort to change something
> Karsten> and the need to install a toolchain actually put off would-be
> Karsten> contributors (again, *those* can and should be Jane Random
> Karsten> Useress). The toolchain may not even be available for, say,
> Karsten> Windows.
>
> Karsten, do you speak just like that or do you base your statements on
> some facts?

I recount the experience we had with SGML-in-CVS back in the days.

> Which toolchain is required to write reStructuredText?

I know that reStructuredText doesn't require more than an
editor to write (so does SGML).

The toolchain I am referring to is the generation of
presentable content. Someone who contributes to a manual
wants to see that "in print". A wiki does that nicely.

BTW, it may be fairly convenient to convert TWiki markup to
reST.

> Karsten> No quick changing something online inbetween patients at 3am
> Karsten> night shift in response to a good idea in a posting on the
> Karsten> list.
>
> Huh, why you can't just open your editor and save the note which can be
> later pushed/committed to the trunk?
That "later" is the problem. I want to be able to edit a few
things - et voila, the manual is improved for everyone.

The other thing: I don't *have* my editor at 3am. All I
have is a Windows based machine set up for medical practice
and internet access.

> Karsten> - see the wiki as a means of collecting "rough" manual pages -
> Karsten> writes the actual manual based on those pages - regularly
> Karsten> publishes that "final" manual, say, twice weekly
>
> If we want to have nicely-looking manual, wiki is not the way.
No doubt about that.

> Why should the manual be updated twice weekly?
That was just a number.

It should have been: "whenever there are changes".

> Do you have two regular releases per week?
Yes, we release the manual several times per day. People ask
about something on the list or in private mail. It gets
described or fixed in the Wiki and everyone has better
documentation immediately.

> My humble feeling is that replying to every proposal for a change in the
> current workflow (which seems the be like engraved in the rock) by
> suggesting: no problem if you'll do it, won't inspire many contributors
> in the future.
Well, who will do it if not you (or another volunteer) ?

My humble feeling is that I surely wonder why you go around
trying to change every single aspect of how this project has
achieved release 0.3.1 but not actually *doing* any of the
changes you propose ?

Now, you've been starting with changing the way bugs are
triaged. I think that's a great start. Why not just stick to
that and get it done ?

All said and done we don't need proposols just for the sake
of proposing. We need people *acting* on proposals.