Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Mirth channels and HL7 import for the GNUmed proj

From: David Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Mirth channels and HL7 import for the GNUmed project - test source message
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:43:05 +1000

Hi Karsten,

may I ask you to document the steps that were necessary on
our Wiki ?

Certainly. I'll start on it tonight when I get home.

I will probably do the Mirth code analysis on the weekend. I suspect that you would also like a recommendation for a solution to HL7 messaging? What is a typical scenario for how HL7 messaging is used. Is it the following:

1) A system(s) sends an HL7 message to the Mirth Server
2) The Mirth Server processes the message, decodes it, and stores the data within the message in the GNUMed database
3) The GNUMed client can then access the data from the database

Once the HL7 message has been decoded and stored in the database, is there a need to refer back to the original message? I am assuming the HL7 message is decoded and is now just data in the database.

Will GNUMed ever be sending HL7 messages to the Mirth Server?

Regards,
Dave.