Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:04:50 +0200

On Mittwoch 10 September 2008, Gour wrote:

> Sebastian> I am stiff carefull with LP until it has been open
> Sebastian> sourced. Canocial is a strange company. they even force a us
> Sebastian> to BSD-license LP translations. What the f*. I personally
> Sebastian> will not put too much effort into migrating from open source
> Sebastian> tools to closed source until the cash in on their promise to
> Sebastian> open source LP.
>
> Have you seen:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/07/23/mark-shuttleworth-laun
>chpad-to-be-open-source-in-12-months
>
> Otoh, what's wrong with BSD translations?
>
> The whole Haskell community mostly uses BSD license for all the code and
> libs.

That is their choice which I fully respect. GNUmed has chosen not to use a BSD
license. No more no less. One individual develeoper can however license a
contribution in whatever way he or she choses. It might not get into the main
tree however.

Try submitting a non GPL patch to Linus for the kernel and see what happen. It
is all about choice. No we are not going to discuss licenses here.

> Sebastian> For GNUmed code we will never mix open source and closed
> Sebastian> source. I will make darn sure that there is no wash-in coming
> Sebastian> from LP

I will use launchpad and they have a good reason to ask for BSD but for the
main GNUmed tree we cannot accept BSD licensed translations I believe and I
am not willing to dive into that just because of LP. I believe LP is nice but
if it forces us to change something it better not be used (my choice).

For the time being I have accepted to let the translations be BSD licensed but
Karsten may opt not to include them into the tree. Anyone is free to do so on
their own machine later on. I love choice in Open Source.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany