Re: [Gnumed-devel] USB stick

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] USB stick
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:36:42 +0200

Wednesday 10 of September 2008 6:21:06 pm Gour napisaƂ(a):

> Karsten> Personal physical property perhaps, to say the least ?
I also found it annoying to use USB sticks (mainly because I don't like
crawling under the desk where the computer "box" resides ;-) , but also I
didn't like the synchronisation of documents every time I sit at the
computer.
So I found an on-line storage space provider with satisfying security and
level of service. I recommend it to everyone having broadband internet access
(worked with 128kb line, but not so smoothly).
You can test it yourself : www.xythosondemand.com

The features that convinced me to it were:
- reasonable security
- the amount of space suitable for my needs
- WebDAV support (!)
- the best interface for MS Windows I saw among similar service providers,
it's really nice and convenient (all my wife's office uses it after my
recommendation)
- it is not free, so you can expect professional maintainance
- the price is not too high
- there is no need for synchronisation of your versions, because you always
work on the current and the only one document.

I would say it is perfect, but there is not so convenient access from Linux as
from Windows. It is nothing big, just that if you mount it using davfs you
must disable file locks. It is probably a bug, but as long as I do not need
to be afraid of concurrent access, I can live with it.

This way I can access my files in the same way being at home, at work, or if I
really need them  -  just from any other computer with web browser.

Jerzy Luszawski