[Gnumed-devel] Wiki documentation separation

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Wiki documentation separation
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:17:07 -0700

Some principles, and maybe early worthwhile resolutions:

- there are important differences between "reference" documentation and "in order to best understand and learn to be able to use" kinds of documentation

- the wiki will always remain useful as a pointer... "where do I find what I need (including manuals and other documentation)" even when the latter were not *constructed* on the wiki

- at minimum, we likely want available documentation (downloadable) linked *from* the wiki; not yet determined is whether the wiki would be the primary site from which the documents are identified and organized, or whether the wiki would point to something external that has its own mechanism for organizing and offering what is available. BTW any identification at gnumed.org (salaam) of documentation could be done on a new sub-wiki, the advantage being that its index would exclude GNUmed (main) wiki contents thus be uncluttered.

- we may also want any existing versions to be published even while they are incomplete... it would only need to be clear when these are at a level of draft, and ultimately they would get frozen with a GNUmed release and, once frozen, would only be fixed for errata.

- we will also want feedback. If we imagine that each document may be in chapters, can we consider whether to publish from reST into the (sub) wiki and use wiki editing as a basis to do a diff between the base version and the suggested changes, from which the doc team would pick and choose as appropriate?