[Gnumed-devel] Re: small Sphinx demo

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: small Sphinx demo
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:45:56 +0200

James> although in actuality
>> IOW, I consider that such documentation has to be written offline

James> the above is presumably only a constraint of the tool(s).

The main point is not online or offline - you can even use some browse
editor while being online (I believe there are such tools), but the
points are:

a) JoeUser cannot just launch his browser and add content according to
his heart's desire and

b) documentation sources has to be kept under VCS so that 'patches' can
be easily unpulled/uncommit etc. and no commit possible before some
review happens by other members of the doc-team.

And since I do not really understand obsession with wiki that all
contribution must be committed right on the spot for instant result,
it' better not to discuss this issue any longer and close it down.

James> I am not unwilling to learn tools that would make sense to use. I
James> only need them to be within my lifetime capacity. Some confidence
James> that the choices could be stable and that I won't end up the only
James> one using them, since I won't learn too much too quickly, might
James> be nice.  And yet I recognize, as my mother cautioned, that
James> nothing meaningful in life is certain!

reST markup (if you visited some of the URLs I posted) is quite similar
to wiki-formats, very lightweight and readable.

reST is part of the Docutils - practically the 'standard' for Python
docs and Sphinx is used by some very big Python players - see
http://svn.python.org/projects/doctools/trunk/EXAMPLES

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D