Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed vision and how to get there - specific

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed vision and how to get there - specific
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:11:48 -0700

On 11-Sep-08, at 2:08 PM, Rogerio Luz wrote:

Ok so here I can help.

What do I need GNUmed to do/be to sell it around (even for free) here in Brasil?

Out of interest, I am aware that some years ago people in Brazil tried the Oscar (McMaster) EMR. I would be curious as to any persistence in that effort given it was stated "Brazilian Government Physicians (The Brazilian government invested 10 programmers to translate OSCAR into Portuguese for use in Brazil)."

I am someone who got interested in open source because of a presentation about Oscar but found that Oscar did not suit me. Possibly there are others like me in Brazil.

1st -  modularity, the way the client gets installed is not ideal for a Brasilian practice, too much noise on importing xDT (wich I have no idea for what purpose I would want to do) and scanning images.

Many doctors (clinicians) have systems which do appointment making and/or billing and which therefore already contain patient demographic information. In the United States these are sometimes termed "BAR systems" (Billings and Accounts Receivable).

Most of these systems can export patient information in at least one format. These can be usable by GNUmed to make the same patient information *importable* by use of an xDT-equivalent. If the BAR-like system can be automated so that --- with each change of patient newly in focus --- some signal can be issued (i.e. export of a tiny file into a mappable directory) a GNUmed client can be configured to "watch" for such files and auto-navigate to the same patient which is the purpose of the "slave mode" checkbox in the login screen.