Re: [Gnumed-devel] Better-supporting staff and other non-patient persons

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Better-supporting staff and other non-patient persons
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:39:49 +0200

On Sonntag 14 September 2008, James Busser wrote:

personal opinion  ahead :-)

> I have no quarrel that the schema treats all persons (no matter their
> role) as needing to exist in the demographic schema.
>
> I only have a problem that the schema requires staff (and by
> extension, any and every other kind of person) to be created first as
> a patient, and to then be "enlisted as staff".
>
> :-)     :-)

This is absolutely reasonable. We might have different definitions of staff.
Staff is someone (in my opinion) who works for you. You have there
demographics on file anyway. A visiting physician is not staff but shall be
createded and uses totally seperate in GNUmed.

> Maybe in small towns where there is only one praxis, staff have no
> choice where to get their medical care. However, when there is a
> choice, even if your own care could be the best, staff will sometimes
> prefer to get their care somewhere else.

Yes.

> We also recognize that we
> may wish to create (register) additional persons, who are not
> patients and who are not staff, in the database. I am thinking here
> consultant physicians or other clinicians whom we may wish to attach
> as involved in the care of particular patients.

Yes.

> It is totally unreasonable to have to extract actual birth dates from
> these external people as a condition of creating them.

Yes.

> IMO it would
> make no sense for there to have to exist, within GNUmed, dozens to
> hundreds of individuals with a pseudo-date of birth of 1800.01.01.

Yes.

> Such people also immediately acquire an EMR with statistics of zero.
> I think it is important to not confuse the fact that someone is a
> person, with whether or not they ever got care, or whether or not it
> is even intended or appropriate that any clinical entries get
> created. This should be protected-against.

No. Those persons should not be created "as patients" or "as staff".

> This would have several implications for non-patients
> - it may help inform to not display, into the EMR tree and EMR
> journal, statistics which are zero
> - it can help avoid the creation of an EMR and entries  for
> individuals for whom this would be totally inappropriate

Yes. See above.

> and give some thought to how it is envisioned that other non-patient
> persons would be managed. I would imagine that when looking up
> consultants they might be searched from within the usual name search
> box using their name or perhaps their specialty (cardiology) is this
> attribute of the person would be included in the search. However for
> the creation of such people and in order to manage sets of such
> people I imagine we would plan something in the Office > menu like
> Office > Manage master data > Other persons (perhaps immediately
> under Staff and above Document types).

I propose an allied professional source (LDAP, in the database).
The search box could first search for patients, if it does not find one , open
the create patient widget and display a button to search in the allied
professional datasource instead.

If an allied professional is found it can then be used or imported as an
allied profession into GNUmed (since we know the source)

We would addionally have a menu item 'enlist allied professional as patient'
for the rare case that they seek out medical attention.

So what I am proposing is is a contacts database which is totally seperate
from the patient database.

Just for personal interest where within GNUmed do you need these persons. Do
you think about creating a login role for them or do you need them a doctors
taking over responsibility for lab results ?

> Changing the status of a person who was not a patient, to become a
> patient, would require that any missing dob and gender be entered.

True.

> However I cannot see that it is presently supported (in the GUI) to
> alter a person's date of birth or gender.

?? Go to patient details plugin click the name and click edit. There you can
edit gender and bith date.

> The clinical plug-ins (EMR tree, Progress notes, EMR journal,
> Documents, Attach documents, and Measurements) should refuse to be
> switched-tom the way they presently refuse when "no patient is
> selected". In other words, they should require more than having a
> *person* in focus, they should require to have *a person who
> is_a_patient* in focus.

Yes. They do so now if we seperate patients and allied professionals.
I believe there will be a plugin to manage allied professional. In this plugin
one can enter suffient detail manually. import a vcal file or search an LDAP
database.

In my opinion if you give someone access to your system you better know there
dob.

> Shall I make this a Launchpad Blueprint? ;-)

Yes.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany