Re: [Gnumed-devel] USBPG for Windows - make it work

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] USBPG for Windows - make it work
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 15:14:31 -0700

On 14-Sep-08, at 3:04 PM, Rogerio Luz wrote:

PS2: The downside is that these dinosaurs are so sluggish that it took me 2 hours !!!! to unzip the server package (really ... I was counting), but this can´t be held against Sebastian´s patch since it takes almost a full minute to open Google ;-)

Maybe the dinosaurs could get some enemas. At two local hospitals, one runs a tight policy with locked down computers and maintains pretty good responsiveness. The other allows people to access and download whatever they want. When the latter machines act in the way that Rogerio describes, and when I have reported such local machines to the Help Desk, the staff sometimes inform me that these machines were having 90% of their memory and processor cycles consumed by spyware.

It would be interesting anytime when the hospital would de-commission any machines, when buying new ones, in which case the old machines are sometimes disposed of, or might be able to be inexpensively purchased second-hand from the hospital, if these could be wiped clean and having a modest Linux installed (maybe Debian with XFCE) and see how well this cluster might run.

It would be great to set up a "demo network" running GNUmed!