[Gnumed-devel] some license issues (was Re: Launchpad Blueprints vs Bug

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] some license issues (was Re: Launchpad Blueprints vs Bug vs Wiki...)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:06:24 +0200

>>>>> "Karsten" == Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Karsten> I am still not sure about the license of Blueprint *content*.

I'm told about translation on #launchpad:

"gour: the issue with translations is that Launchpad provides a way to
use translations entered for one project as suggestions for
another. this means your project benefits from work done on other
projects if there are similar strings...if all the translations entered
on LP for your project were GPL licensed, then they couldn't be used as
suggestions for GPL-incompatible projects (e.g. MPL, etc).  gour: given
that the requirements of the BSD license are essentially a subset of the
GPL requirements, there isn't anything wrong with licensing your project
as a whole under the GPL."

"gour: GPL has no problem with BSD"

"the only real effect of the translation licensing is that translations
 entered for your project may end up being used for other projects
 (which hopefully you're fine with, since the reverse also happens)".

and about blueprints:

"now, there isn't really any analogue of this for blueprints so there is
no similar licensing requirement"

<gour> so, blueprints are solely under the project's license?"

"given that the text is hosted externally, it can be whatever you want.

there is no set requirement."

I hope it helps...and it means that wiki can be used for blueprint's
content until it becomes implemented and then (hopefully) documented in
official docs.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D