Re: [Gnumed-devel] the whole language thing

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] the whole language thing
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:45:12 +0200

> > The public db at salaam has a
> >
> >     currently selected database language ('de_DE')
> >
> > which does not match my current system language ('en_CA').
>
> Because it changes to de_DE when I log in and set it and changes to en_CA
> when  you log in.
Except that it wont if there is no en_CA available in the DB. But it should
then try "en" - which will not
be available either due to it being default - but it then should reset to None
== en-default which I am
not sure it currently does - please file a bug report on this.

> > Either way, the menus all display in English as do the inbox column
> > headings (category, type, message) and it is only the content e.g.
> > "medizinish", "Dokumente durchsehen" etc that are displayed as one
> > would expect to be defined by the content of the data tables.
> >
> Yes. Only Karsten can answer if those should be presented to you in
> English or
> German.
They should be EN but see above.

> > With my own local database I also have a persisting (seeming)
> > problem. When I log into v9 using client 0.3.2 from tarball, I am
> > presented the USS Enterprise warning, which I acknowledge. I am then
> > presented with
> >
> >     The currently selected language ('None') does not match the current
> > system language (en_CA)?
> >     Do you want to set the database language to 'en_Ca'?

Ah, OK, apparently it does re-set to None :-)  But it then asks because None is
not enCA. Allow it
to ignore that ...

Please file the bug anyway so I dont forget to double-check.

> > If I click "Set" (to set it to 'en_CA') but it makes no difference
> > because the next time I log in I get the *same* dialog that the
> > database language is 'None' does this point to a bug? File a bug report?
> >
> I will check this but it sounds like a bug.
yep

> > Also, what is "Remember to ignore language mismatch" ... what is this
> > supposed to achieve, and how would it be useful?
> >
> It won't ask you every time about the mismatch when you persistently log
> into my de_DE database :-)
see above, it stops bothering you as long as your machine stays en_CA ;-)