Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Launchpad Blueprints vs Bug vs Wiki todo-list

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Launchpad Blueprints vs Bug vs Wiki todo-list
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:01:28 -0700

On 15-Sep-08, at 12:50 AM, Gour wrote:

James> We will be fine without the feature until the blueprints exceed
James> one screen worth, however this will result if we map items from
James> the wiki ToDo so...

Good.

Is it maybe better to submit it as bug report or you consider blueprint
is OK?

My idea was that in addition to bugs going into LP Bugs, various other items (among ToDos and Proposals) can go into Bugs *or* Blueprints depending on their length and their value in being further documented.

For requests like changing default behaviour, or adding values, or other things even though they are not bugs, but which are self- explanatory, I suggest we add these to Bugs.

Items which are longer, which would benefit from any evolution of discussion and solution design whose status may be worth keeping tracked, and whose implementation will require more time and steps, and which benefits from having its description and specification maintained somewhere else (e.g. wiki) should be put into Blueprint, which supports the two status attributes (state of agreement on design, and state of implementation), and holding an external reference URL.

(Bugs does have one extra attribute, "Milestone", which may be helpful to target if certain bugs *must* be fixed as part of certain releases, or whether other bugs (which are wishlist items) should be targeted for something later. One approach could be

- default milestone would be current major version of gnumed-client + "x" e.g. 0.3.x given it is reasonable that the auto-generated things should likely get fixed within the major version. Anything that is wishlist which cannot realistically be in view for 0.3.x can be deferred to 0.4.x. Among the 0.3.x bug items, any being currently worked-on could be set to "current" and when the bug is committed its Milestone can be set to the upcoming release (0.3.3) if it is useful to make it easy to know which version is needed to escape the bug or to gain the feature.