[Gnumed-devel] Scanning and Linux (vs Windows & Mac)

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Scanning and Linux (vs Windows & Mac)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:19:24 -0700

I am familiar with Windows and Mac, where ether can have a USB scanner directly connected to the PC. I am also familiar with older Macs when they used to have SCSI connectors.

Windows and Macs presently also allow printer-sharing of USB printers but as far as I can tell they do not (or do not reliably or easily) allow scanning functions to be shared across the network.

I am not sure about the current status of XSANE on the Mac.

Has anyone been acquiring successfully from inside GNUmed (Attach documents plug-in > Scan page(s) ) from Windows using TWAIN or have people been using Linux?

If I were to wish to set up scanning from a machine running Linux (Debian) would GNUmed's XSANE see a directly-connected USB scanner or would the scanner need to be connected to a special hardware interface, network machine etc?