Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 20:45:51 -0700

On 19-Sep-08, at 2:42 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

if in the course of a visit it is being
thought about to prescribe a medication or other drug (or give a
vaccination like influenza where there could exist egg allergy) the
clinician could always look at the upper left corner of the Active
Problems list to see
or else they could look at the top right Cave field hovering the mouse over which will reveal further detail to the allergies listed there, double- clicking which will allow entering
a newly elicited allergy

I might dispute the contention (per the email before) that the tree should show only "diseases" since the tree is, after all, supposed to list "Heath Issues".

I can accept not to list the absence of allergies in the list but would want us to better-address two deficiencies:

1) absence of information in the Caveats (an empty box) is ambiguous... can it be taken to mean the absence of allergies, or only the absence of allergy *information* ?? Perhaps no one had yet asked, or maybe they had asked but somehow failed to put it into GNUmed. Can I therefore suggest -- at minimum -- that while the allergy state is Unknown (which is the default at new patient creation) the Caveat field should display a "?".

2) absence from the EMR Summary of the known Allergy state. In my view when referring the patient and potentially providing a copy of the Summary, the presence of known allergy information will be included but the fact that to the best of our knowledge, the patient has no allergies is important to include in communications.

While I am at it, can I ask the intended use of the allergy state "Undisclosed"?

        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2006-08/msg00006.html

While a patient's refusal to answer is possible, I suspect in the area of allergy it will more often denote an inability to remember, or a lack of knowledge. The patient may be unsure, and accompanying caregivers may likewise be unsure, or they may know the patient is allergic to something, while being unsure what it was ("an antibiotic, I think"). Therefore, I am wondering if the intended use is meant to cover this situation, as if to say that further clarification may be needed or perhaps even in-process.

It may be a subtle distinction, but while "Undisclosed" *could* mean that the patient elected not to answer i.e. was not co-operating... it could also mean that, not having been asked, neither did it occur to them to offer the information spontaneously. A more egregious assertion on our part would be if despite their actually having told us, we did not notice or remember having done so during our preoccupation with some other thought) :-)

So to me, in the situation where the question *had* been specifically asked, IMO "Unresolved" or "Pending" (if collateral were requested) would make clearer that the question was at least asked but that any lack of resolution was not necessarily from lack of co-operation. Is "Unresolved" acceptable?

While there is nothing stopping someone entering a text value in trigger and comment that would further detail the situation for any given patient, I am assuming there can still be programmatic value to recording Undisclosed (or Unresolved) as a "state", for example for programmatic purposes.