[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed options / preferences and migration through succes

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed options / preferences and migration through successive updates
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:45:16 -0700

I am noticing that among GNUmed's many client menus are a variety of settings. It is not always clear (to me) which of them are going to affect

- all GNUmed users for that praxis
- all GNUmed users by default unless they can override on a per-user level
- only that copy of the client
- only that user (no matter which copy of the client they use)

I think it would also make a challenge for anyone setting up GNUmed to need to navigate into many individual menu items.

Would the following be useful to work toward:

1) A single configuration area

2) Configuration is not managed "inside" a widget or plug-in or arbitrary dialog but instead these locations can provide a button which would pass a parameter to the configuration manager, taking the user to the relevant area within the configuration manager

3) The configuration manager can have tabbed areas similar to how the "Patient details" widget has "Identity" and "Contacts". Within the manager, i could be the level of user privilege that determines what is relevant to offer to be changed, and perhaps those areas that require <gm-dbo> could be their own tab within the Manager.

As far as migrating client preferences through successive updates, do we expect any incompatibility if users (or their IT support) should simply copy the "old" version of a user's .conf file into the new client folder?

If some change is needed to the .conf file is it likely to be limited to the addition of new "chunks" and would this enable any pieces missing from the old .conf to be added-to (say from the /etc/gnumed/ file) upon first usage in the new client?

Sorry if this is already documented but it does become relevant as people begin spending more time in more-fully configured clients :-)