Re: [Gnumed-devel] Portable GNUmed issue

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Portable GNUmed issue
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:46:18 -0700

On 22-Sep-08, at 5:15 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

I am looking at my newly started (hurray!! ) GNUmed Porable client, the thing is I think I discovered why I could not run it it the other PC ...

I think the GNUmed client makes a \.gnumed folder in the HARDDRIVE with
all
the GNUmed config files in the  "current user" folder.

It does and it requires that. But not "on the harddrive" but rather "in the home directory". So you may need to use a symlink for .gnumed or put the homedir onto the stick or something similar.

Well if this is the case then it will be IMPOSSIBLE for me to make it run
in
some of these PC´s ... Besides when I read the wiki for the first time
the
thing I liked the most is it´s ability to NOT leave anything behind

Maybe the portable could recognize when \.gnumed resides on a volume that (being the hard drive) is different than the volume (the portable drive) from which the software is being run. This might permit both the GNUmed menu > "Exit" command as well as the exception handler "Close GNUmed" buttons to delete \.gnumed as part of the exit process. (?)