Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:21:14 -0700

On 23-Sep-08, at 10:26 AM, James Busser wrote:

I am having a bit of a hard time to see the flow with proposed states

Here is what I would suggest, based on reworking of the existing (see screenshot) Allergy manager:

- reposition Allergy window titlebar lower on screen to prevent its being party hidden by the XFCE panel at the top of the screen, I suggest that for example if the plugin Patient details is open to the Identity tab, the upper edge of the Allergy window be positioned just under the "Comment" column heading

- the checkbox "definite" risks being un-noticed, can it be interposed to the left of "Allergy", "Sensitivity"

- Allergy dialog needs widening and extending vertically lower by 1-2 cm to accommodate: 1) an "Exit" button.. presently it is only possible to leave by pressing Cancel
        2) visually separating individual-item detail from overall state

... presently the state is crowded among 3 buttons between Save Clear Delete and Cancel and this competes with screen controls used to manage individual allergies. This needs a better visual and functional separation. Suggest instead:

1) exclude the State buttons from a rectangular work area which should visually enclose all the other elements as more-clearly managing items in the list, this rectangular work area should have some visual element boundary like a dotted line... as mentioned, this may need extending the window down to let State buttons be moved out lower

2) exclude listing allergy state in the table because it confuses the user who cannot manage such entries with the same tools / buttons as they would manage discrete items... I would instead split allergy state out of the table and present it as radio buttons

( ) None known ( ) Per above ( ) Unknown <---default on patient creation

Entering allergies would programmatically change the radio button state to ( ) Per above. Only in the absence of listed allergies would the user would be able to change the state from "Unknown" to "None". Of interest, the user should be allowed to input allergy information which came from collateral but it is interesting to contemplate that the patient had not been asked hence the tension between "No info" and"Unknown" and "Unasked". Presently if I enter "Penicillin" the constraints refuse to let me also set state to "unknown".

Would you still want to capture "Unanswered" to flag patients for whom the issue especially deserves future discussion? If so this could be between ( ) Per above and ( ) Unknown

3) make an "Exit" or "OK" button a default at bottom.

Caveat field:
- while allergy state is unknown (or undisclosed) can the Caveat box hold a red "?" (refer to discussion ~ Sept 20th)
        also Greek phi for "none" and "!?" for (  ) Unanswered

PNG image