[Gnumed-devel] Re: versioning scheme

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: versioning scheme
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:43:30 +0200

>>>>> "Sebastian" == Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Sebastian> I a year or so we will still be at v11 or so and the client
Sebastian> will be 0.8 So in a few years the database probably changes
Sebastian> very little to not at all and it makes no sense to increase
Sebastian> the number when a new release is out.

I doubt that, based on current development, GNUmed will have major
release every six months or so and I believe that once in year or so it
is affordable to increase server version from 1.0 to 2.0 justifying it
by lot of changes in the client's functionality.

However, atm, the server is at V10, while client's is lacking by being
at 0.3 only, just the opposite of your argument ;)

Sebastian> Yeah but when we have client 1.3 and the database structure
Sebastian> v9 which has not been changed why would we rename it if it
Sebastian> did not change ?

Do you forget that during the 1.x cycle the server's version do not
change until the client (or server) reaches 2.x?

Sebastian> If you start gnumed you are told explicetly what version you
Sebastian> have and what version is expected. So if you are told that
Sebastian> you have version 8 and need version 9 what problem is there
Sebastian> to get version 9.

Sebastian> What happens if an error is corrected in client 0.4.0 and
Sebastian> server 0.4.0. The server package needs to be set to 0.4.1 and
Sebastian> then I fail to see that both versions are connected.

Sebastian> I would be mislead into thinking that a client 0.4.1 is
Sebastian> needed which is *not true*

I already wrote in previous emails - change of database schema is MAJOR
change and it requires increase of major number.

Well, if you do not see advantage of running server 0.4 and knowing
that it can run with 0.4.x clients, no use to argue any longer...

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D