Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:55:05 -0700

On 25-Sep-08, at 4:42 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

And I meant not to show the no allergies state there, not the string "no allergies" ;-)

I am quite agreeable to not show, in the *tree*, the lack of allergy.

I only made that proposal be cause I (mis)understood there to be tight linkage between what gets shown in the right-side of the EMR tree as the statistics, and what may be easily transmissible if referring the patient to a consultant. Maybe without too much work, it can be possible to provide the consultant with something which overlaps, yet is a bit different from, the stuff that appears among the EMR statistics.

This reminds me that a local GP (talking about EMRs) said how even though he likes his EMR overall, it still bothers him after all these years that the orthopedic surgeon is provided a hard-coded summary and the GP has no easy ability to exclude the therapeutic abortion from age 17 and the maybe-not-rigorous diagnosis of depression or personality disorder entered a couple of years ago. Another GP added the concerns about the parent who insists on viewing the record of their child when it might contain items that ought not be disclosed to a parent (as sometimes happens during marital disputes and accusations, but which need not involve disputes or accusations).

What I was thinking we could model includes:

1) when generating an EMR summary export -- for shared care or consultation purposes -- any Issues marked "Confidential" would prompt the user whether to include none, all, or some of these issues in the report

2) for the situation where workers in the praxis (or patient proxies) should be allowed to see / review some issues (but not the confidential ones) the EMR contextual menu could be given additional options

        Show all issues
        Show only non-confidential
        Show only confidential

where "Show all issues" would be the default for some or all levels of clinicians, who could choose to alter the EMR display for special purposes such as reviewing with a proxy (parent) the non-confidential items

where "Show only non-confidential" could be the default for certain helper staff who might be given no other option

where "Show only confidential" makes it easier to check if there is something that *was* confidential but which the patient is at this stage more willing to have it easily able to be known to outside clinicians