Re: [Gnumed-devel] allergy manager in CVS HEAD

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] allergy manager in CVS HEAD
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:43:09 -0700

On 15-Oct-08, at 2:54 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Attached find a current screenshot of the allergy manager.

Looking good... even so...

1. if it is desired to alter the allergy state, it is extra work to both change the value of the "Set to" radio button, and to also have to click "Save state". It would be more efficient to simply auto-save any change made to the state, unless there is a desire to refresh the screen immediately. I would suggest:

(a) improve the flow by switching positions of the allergy state comment, and the allergy state "Set to" radio buttons. The comment then follows as a qualifier on whatever state was clicked.

(b) in place of separate "Reconfirm" and "Save state" buttons, what about a single button "(Re)confirm" which would support either context by updating the clinical ascertainment (even if there was no change) that the information now-shown is current to the best of our knowledge

2. please confirm the flow as it now stands in "head":

- on patient creation:
        default allergy state would be "unknown" ?
                for if it is null, what would show in the radio button?
        default state confirmation timestamp would be null?
                'Last confirmed" would show in the manager as <null>?
        cave would show "?"

- after asking the patient:
        if unsure or evasive, clinician enters a comment
        if radio button is left as "unknown"
        --> cave shows "?!"
        if radio button is set to "none" yet a comment exists
        --> cave shows "greek phi with !"
        if *has* allergies
        --> there is still a role for a comment (?)

- after the "Last confirmed" has been altered from null, shall we indicate this as part of the Cave for example
        ?! (last confirmed yyy-mm-dd hh:hh)
        phi (last confirmed yyy-mm-dd hh:hh)

... since it would spare the user having to expose the tooltip to decide if it was recent enough (it is a tradeoff... clutter vs fewer steps, I prefer fewer steps and maybe we could leave out the text "last confirmed" since the user would figure out the meaning of the date the first time they open the Allergy manager

Two more questions:

- if any change was made to the allergy manager info for a patient, can that auto-update the "Last confirmed..." even if the user did not click "(Re)confirm"?

- I did not see a response to my concern about Generic/Specific quoted below... the reply underneath it had been "fixed" but no change is clear in the screenshot so maybe was not yet included in the scope of change:

current Generic/specific is dangerous because the default suggests other drugs in this class can be used, when this may not be known. Suggest relabel to "tolerates others in class" and change its default this to "false" until we know the person can tolerate others in this drug [class] or other allergen class (as with some "nut" and berry allergies where is it better to know than to guess tolerability). The existing values for the field do not need to be changed because the semantic remains the same i.e. if their allergy was specific, they remain able to tolerate others in the class