Re: [Gnumed-devel] 0.3.2 feedback: EMR tree also Past History item behav

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] 0.3.2 feedback: EMR tree also Past History item behaviours
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:53:51 -0700

On 15-Oct-08, at 2:01 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

But if the clin.clin_narrative entry which was created with the past
history item does in fact lack a proper episode anyway, can the text be
expressed other than it is now?

There is currently no other place in the backend for it
unless you want to put it into the label of the health
issue.

Instead of devoting an "Episode" to it, can such Past History items
instead be displayed without an episode until something more than the
original entry has happened?

They could but we would need to provide a field for the data
in the backend. I have for now renamed the pseudo episode to
"inception notes" to make things more obvious. There
certainly *was* an episode of some sort back in the days
even if we don't know anything else about it.

Yes, there must have been an episode of illness. But there may -- or may not -- have been an episode of care around that illness.

I have been thinking further around retrospective documentation. Think of a patient who comes into the praxis with a discharge summary from a hospitalization during the 8 months that the patient lived and worked in Italy. I might choose make an episode "hospitalization, Florence IT" under the problem(s) which got care. Each problem, where it would be useful, could cause me to input 2-3 lines of information so that I can better maintain a record of the patient's care (including care not delivered by me).

Can we think through how any difference between clin_when and care_when would be managed?