Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP display

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP display
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:24:14 +0100

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 08:06:12PM -0200, Rogerio Luz wrote:

> We will NEVER be able to satisfy every living doctor out there on how to or
> where to display the SOAP.
Absolutely. That's a well known fact.

> Internationalization will always be a problem if we do not have
> CUSTOMIZATION abilities.
Note, however, that internationalization and customization
are different beasts: i18n needs to be concerned mainly with
configurability of *functionality* while customization is
mainly concerned with configurability of *appearance*.

> So here is my idea: Why not let the CLIENT decide (specially in the tree
> view) how to display these saved notes.

See, this is why my plan was/is to eventually base the
formatting on templates, for example HTML. There would be
placeholders (pray tell, just like in forms) which the
client knows how to provide data for and the user can write
an HTML template containing those placeholders with any
formatting they see fit.

It's not even that complicated, technically (but post-0.4
material for sure).