Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP display

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP display
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:15:46 -0800

On 23-Nov-08, at 2:24 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Internationalization will always be a problem if we do not have
CUSTOMIZATION abilities.
Note, however, that internationalization and customization
are different beasts: i18n needs to be concerned mainly with
configurability of *functionality* while customization is
mainly concerned with configurability of *appearance*.

maybe i18n and "customization" could each mean something more or different than "just" functionality or "just" appearance?

I thought that i18n, by determining the strings displayed in i18n- supported applications, would configure the language and/or idiom (human context) in which the user interacts... I suppose that this is more than just appearance because the user might, through i18n, be "instructed" to use the program in a manner *different* from the manner in which the application "natively" ships. Is there any other "functionality" that i18n would alter?

Likewise, would "customization" potentially alter not just appearance, but function as well? Maybe it depends on what you might understand to be "a capacity for customization of appearance that can be introduced and built into current or future versions of GNUmed" (maybe in the manner of the selection of plug-ins") in contrast to "customization which individual coders or praxes might do without (ever) getting incorporated and committed into the main head?