Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Raw input

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Raw input
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:57:20 +0100

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 01:00:53PM -0500, Geordie wrote:

> In the world of Sid, we tend upgrade frequently, a gentleman by the name of
> h2 developed a bash ( i think) script to update a sid based computer. It is
> seemless way to keep things current and any programs that are unstable are
> placed on hold. This script runs as root and connects to a server similar to
> your gnumed boot strap. I have included one of the scripts as an attachment.
> It may add some insite as to how things work in the sidux world. The same
> scripts can be used to update testing as well depending on your sources list.
> I think your script is running afoul of some security issue in the new
> kernels,
This may be true or not. It can easily be tested by running
Python in a shell, typing "raw_input()", type some
characters, press ENTER and see what happens.

> The one offer I would have is if you would like me to try
> myself by giving me some sort of ssh access to your machine
> over the internet.
>
> Ah this sounds sooooooo dangerous. Is it legal???????
Why not ?

> What do you need?
You would need to setup ssh access on your machine and
create an account for me. In order to run the bootstrapper
and take a look at the PG configuration I'd have to be able
to su to root which you may not be comfortable with granting
to a relative stranger.