Re: [Gnumed-devel] and, eventually, an encounter

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] and, eventually, an encounter
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:19:35 +0100

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 09:08:38AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

>> Encounter display is now also more informative.
>
> The above improvement pertained to the left half of the EMR tree, in
> which ---  inside each health-issue's episodes --- "encounterlet" dates
> and types are displayed. By design, clicking on one will show only the
> notelet (the portion of the encounter) that relates to the problem of
> interest.

Exactly, by design.

> It is nevertheless useful to be able to see the fullness of what
> happened inside any one encounter.
I agree.

> This is presently crudely achieved in the EMR Journal,
yes

> but it would be
> even nicer to be able to optionally filter out the Journal lines that
> pertain to things done by daemons such as the import of lab results.
Well, I am not a particular fan of "bastardizing" the
Journal into something that works better for more cases. The
Journal is *supposed* (by design, again) to be a crude way
of accessing the data.

I am, however, a (0.5)-supporter of multiple views in the EMR tree:

- sort by issue/episode (like now)

- sort by encounter
  - subsort by episode touched upon in encounter and display
    episode-specific narrative on the right
  - or display complete narrative on the right simply grouped by episode

> It would be very helpful to visually scan the Assessment soap rows going
> back more than one visit to remind oneself of what might be evolving,
Absolutely. Are you perhaps arguing for AOEs to be displayed
as encounter labels ? I had feared they'd become too long.
But we could

a) move timestamp and/or type into a tooltip
b) truncate the AOE and put the complete AOE into the tooltip
c) any suitable combination thereof

> across problems that might not yet have been obvious to be related.
> Likewise, if parts of Plans had not yet been done, this may be the case
> over more than just the most recent visit.

I agree. A sort-by-encounter view would lend itself better
to this than the existing tree view.

> What about providing a strip of "filter buttons" inside the top of the
> journal output which could offer filter buttons like
>       All (default)   Date/Type    RFE   S   O   A   P   AOE

This (plus the omitted details of it) surely is a wishlist
item regardless of what I said above.