Re: [Gnumed-devel] Log in

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Log in
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:32:59 +0100

On Freitag 12 Dezember 2008, Geordie wrote:
> HI
> I have tried many times and gnumed login screen does not show up on the
> desktop despite what the log says.

Judging from earlier behavior of your system the login screen might not be
visible but might just be completed and show up in the log. This would
definetly be a behavior to look at.

Support GNUmed on all platforms is virtually impossible these days. The main
supported platform is Debian Lenny. It might just work on MS Windows and
openSUSE as those are the plaforms I currently try to run GNUmed on.

Since Linux derivatives are quite similar but deviate as hell at the same time
there might be some glitches that keep you from running GNUmed on any given
distribution.

I am greatful to hear about any experiences but might not be able to solve
this for every distribution. As a userbase and/or community develops problems
are more and more solved by people who have encountered a problem on their
own system.

> If your software installed easily instead

It does.

> of some convoluted methods

please be more specific here so we can try to make it even easier.

> as you
> have created I would not be  asking a whole lot of dumb questions.

There are no dumb questions. Some might originate from incomplete or plain
wrong documentation. If you follow exactly all steps in the Wiki including
distribution you might end up with a running GNUmed.

Guessing from your setup there was at least one time when it was running on
your system. This indicates that in priciple it will run but the step to get
it running might be different on your system.

We welcome any report on how those differences may look like.

> Software
> should install and work like every other one I have installed.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by any other software. Please be more
specific on what you mean by any other software. If you happen to know any
software that runs on Windows, Mac, Linux(es) and connects to a postgresql
database which is prepopulated with data then please let us know so we can
learn from the installation process.

Currently on Linux there is no default way to detect if postgresql is
installed , read the configuration, automatically change the configuration
for postgresql to make it fit for GNUmed. If you know of a way to do away
with scripts to accomplish that then please let us know.

Let me state the issues that need to be solved.

1.) detcect if postgresql ist installed - can be done through apt-get or
zypper
2.) detect if postgresql is configured for user access that might be in
conflict with GNUmed such as sqlledger - impossible unless you write a very
sophisticated GUI (which will fail).
3.) add GNUmed user access - very hard since gnumed is not just one database
4.) make it secure - very hard since there are different methods.

There are ways to accomplish what you and many before you would like to do.

1.) install postgresql
2.) overwrite pg_hba.conf or set every option to 'I will allow anyone to do
anything - e.g. 'trust''
3.) restore a so called dump along with all users and test-data -this will
destroy any data you have in your GNUmed database from prior installation.

to make it even easier you could do away with gnumed database versioning.
Simply call all databases 'gnumed'. This makes it nearly impossible to
upgrade the database (see phpnuke for all the glory details) and is
impossible to be supported in case of errors during upgrades of the database
structure.

There have been efforts by other users to make GNUmed more simple or rewrite
it from scratch. Some might still read this list and can be contacted in case
you would like to team up with them in order to better suit your needs.

> Yours does
> not.

See above.

> Thanks for the wasting of my time.

It was by no way my intention to waste your time and I hope you do not regret
you own choice to give GNUmed a try. Thanks for your feedback.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany