Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: APTonCD

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: APTonCD
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:59:23 +0100

On Samstag 21 Februar 2009, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Rogerio Luz wrote:
> > I think what he wants is something like the Live CD distros, like Kurumin
> > in Brasil, wich let you try the product from the LiveCD without an
> > install, but if you like can be booted to a full instalation on the hard
> > drive.
>
> No.  This is a common feature of live cds builded with debian-live.

Well kind of. Debian installer is not there yet (TM). There are various
options for the Live CD. One could build a live CD which installs a stock
Debian. The other option is to have Debian installer "move the CD image to
the harddrive". This effectively does an installation and will then copy the
programs as they are onthe CD to the harddrive instead of dropping you to a
default package selection.

In our live CD the "copy CD to disk" option is enabled I believe. I have yet
to try it myself. Will do in in VMWARE I guess.

The noise about the local package archive has another story to it. I a medical
pratice it is not uncommon that PCs are not connected to the internet for a
variety of reasons. The easiest way to get GNUmed and updates on those
Debian-based PCs is to have a local GNUmed binary repository on a CD which
would serve as an apt-source for installation.

Forget about the noise. There is a lot of information available online and
once the need arises it will be a matter of hacking a few shell scripts to do
it.

I was thinking out loud outside the (Debian) box. Ideally the CD not only
carries the updates but at the same time serves as Live CD (or vice versa)
and carries binaries for openSUSE, Fedora, Mandriva, MS Windows as well.

This is something a support company could hack up.

Take care,
Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hilbert