[Gnumed-devel] Re: Lenny 5.0

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Lenny 5.0
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:00:10 +0100

On Mittwoch 25 Februar 2009, you wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > While this seems logical you still need testing (now called squeeze) for
> > GNUmed stable version 0.3.10 and database v9.2.
>
> Well, I'm actually not really sure whether this is true in this extend.
> Because current testing is "quite similar" to stable at the moment chances
> are really good that you are able to install only the package gnumed-client
> out of testing while keeping your stable Lenny system as is.
> May be that's an intersting option.

That is what I meant to say. I have set up a etc/apt/preferences file which
will do the apt pinning stuff and should only fetch those packages from
testing and unstable while the base system can stay with Lenny.

It seems that apt pinning and the likes are nothing for a newbie so maybe we
should think about a dedicated repository again. That way only the repository
needs to be added to the sources list and the users don't have to worry about
unstable, experimental.

I suggest the following.

Packages will go into testing, unstable, experimental as always.
I will set up a repository at deb http://www.gnumed.de/mirror/debian/ main

a shell script will mirror packages from testing for the client and server,
produce a Package.gz and serve as repository.

That way packages can follow the debian infrastructure from experimental to
testing and once there be mirrored to the gnumed repository

Users will then get the latest gnumed packages which have been tested in
unstable and won't mess up their system with sources for unstable.

> AND MAKE SURE YOU ADJUSTED YOUR /etc/apt/preferences FILE IF YOU FOLLOW
> THE ADVISE ABOVE!!!

a sample file is attached and will be attached to the wiki as well. please
check the preferences file.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany