Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Lenny 5.0

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Lenny 5.0
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:40:57 +0100

> Ok I read all the long conversation ... sorry for the delay..
>
> Let me try to unwind this knot I have made...
Never mind, no problem !

> My assumption was: "I want to get GNUmed 0.3.10 FROM TARBALL to work in
> the new Lenny Stable out-of-the-box".
>
> The TARBALL was supposed to be a "no instalation required" program
Not really. A tarball is usually intended to deliver the files that
belong to a release from a project to package maintainers so they can
build zero-hassle packages for users :-)   However, we try to make
it easy to use even from the tarball. "Out of the box" isn't possible
however - that isn't even possible (in a desirable way) for a proper
Debian package.

Based on your suggestion the new tarballs now include a
gm-install_client_locally.sh which takes either a tarball or a version
as argument and install that for the user running the script.

Nevertheless, the PostgreSQL configuration must still be adjusted.
There simply is no way around that.

> Karsten: the check-prerequisites.sh work, but it doesn´t check ALL the
> prerequisites at ONCE, I had to run it 5-6 times because it gives one
> python package at a time in the error codes.
How would you like it to be better ?

> And the net-install is in CVS
It is linked from the wiki but apparently not particularly prominent.

> ... remember I said I wanted it to work from TARBALL
Well, if that's your wish the net-installer doesn't help :-)

> Thanks everybody ... sorry for the mess, next time I hope I can be clearer
Again, no problem, it led to improvement.

Computer Bild Tarifsieger! GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 17,95 ¿/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a